Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Celebrating Teachers Integrating Edtech

As I said in my first Edtech Elixirs post, despite my position as District Technology Integration Coach, I don't want to imply that I am "the" expert on edtech.  I am one of many; there is expertise throughout this district! In fact, as part of a bigger district initiative, we at Shelby County want to celebrate the many levels of expertise on, and willingness to try, edtech.  We succeed because we ALL are in the process of becoming edtech leaders and share what works and what doesn't.

That said, learning, trying and integrating edtech can sometimes be a daunting task.  Sure, it has a multitude of positive benefits; if it didn't, why bother?  But I certainly understand the trepidation of a teacher who worries that technology is "just" another thing to do when you have a chance to "get around to it."  As a former classroom teacher until just a few months ago, I completely get it.  You are busy, and don't want your time wasted with difficult tools that aren't worth the investment in time.

With this in mind, through this blog and my Twitter account, I want Shelby County educators to learn from each other by hearing about district teachers who integrate a certain edtech tool.  If that makes you:

  • aware of the diversity and depth of our teachers district-wide who effectively use edtech
  • interested in a tool you haven't heard of before
  • put a name to a tool, and you reach out via email or in person to ask the teacher a question about it
  • all of the above
....then this promotion works!

So, how will I promote and reward these teachers?  Well, I wish I could actually give them a "round TUIT" * for "getting around to" using edtech alongside all the other strategies and effective teaching methods that are part of the Shelby DNA. Instead, a shoutout will have to do. The hashtag #ShelbyTUITshoutout will be used to cheer on a Teacher Using Integrated Technology in a memorable way.  Perhaps the tool is new to me, or the teacher is an awesome integrator, or both.  Look for tweets and an occasional corresponding blog post to highlight the particular tool used.

Be looking for the first #ShelbyTUITshoutout this week!



* I first got the idea of "round TUITs" from an item in Trainer's Warehouse (a wonderful resource for coaching items, BTW). But the way I use the acronym of TUIT above is original to me, as far as I know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment