Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Another school year launches, and a mention in Forbes!

Like many districts across Kentucky, tomorrow is Shelby County's first day of school: my ninth one since joining the district in 2014.   Also tomorrow, back in the district where I live, my youngest daughter will be starting sixth grade.  I'm definitely experiencing a lot of emotions as I look back both at my professional journey in Shelby as well as thinking about my daughter reaching the halfway point of her schooling.  

Today, however, was celebration and kickoff.  Shelby held its Opening Day ceremonies at the Martha Layne Collins High School gym.  One of the highlights was members of the Shelby County High School Rockets choir treating us to a lovely rendition of "True Colors":

In the opening remarks, there was discussion about promoting the legacy and story of Shelby County, including our recent mention in Forbes!

A quick recap for context: back in 2020, Lora Shields (the former Shelby County Public Schools Staff Developer) and I co-created and co-led our first "Shelby Speaks" vodcast series where we interviewed staff during the pandemic to share their challenges, their successes, and how their learning was going to be applied post-pandemically.  Several months later, I created and led the second "season" in the vodcast series, with SCPS teachers sharing strategies on how to teach in a hybrid/concurrent model.  The vodcasts were highlighted in a national report by Next Generation Learning Challenges  -- with Shelby the only Kentucky district mentioned by name. (For more on the report itself, click here; for more on the vodcast series, click here.)

That brings us to last month. In an article about the NGLC report in Forbes magazine, our vodcast series was mentioned again at length.  So glad to see the hard work of SCPS staff recognized!

Educators, I wish you the best as your new school year launches!


No comments:

Post a Comment