Thursday, November 20, 2014

Jumpy Lenovo Cursor and Driver Updates

Several SCHS teachers have complained about their Lenovo Yoga ThinkPad cursors moving by themselves as if possessed, or a sensation of almost chasing the cursor with your trackpad.  This has happened to me a few times as well. Our intrepid CIO Tommy Hurt got ahold of our Lenovo area reps, and got some advice.  (No, it's not to get a priest for an exorcism.)

Two things to consider first.

One: I know that when I type, I sometimes have to get used to a trackpad being near the underside of my thumbs and palms.  I have inadvertently scooted my cursor by accidentally brushing against the trackpad in this way.  So if your cursor suddenly moves and stops, it may be operator error.

Two:  Do NOT install driver updates to your Lenovo unless you have an issue you're trying to resolve.  If you are NOT having an issue with your trackpad, don't worry about installing new drivers. While it likely won't hurt your computer, you may use up precious time.

With the caveats out of the way, let's get down to business.

1. There is a specific site for Lenovo Yoga driver downloads.  Go to the site.

2.  From the drop down menu of "Components" on the middle left side, choose "Mouse and Keyboard."

3.  You want to just install the second and third drivers, as indicated below.  Completely download and install one driver before installing the next.  Be ready to restart the computer each time.


I installed these drivers myself earlier today, and so far, so good.  However, if you install these drivers and still have a jumpy cursor, put in a work order and let us know.  (Please explain that you did install these drivers but it didn't help.)  Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment